It is very frustrating to buy a laptop only to discover later that it was not the right size that you were looking for. That is why it is important to know how to measure the laptop size. Laptops come in various sizes, including 11-inch, 13-inch, 14-inch, 15.6-inch, 17-inch, and much more.
If you are not careful, you may end up buying a laptop that doesn’t suit your needs. Knowing your laptop size will also enable you to buy the right laptop bag or laptop skin case. Most people think that measuring the laptop size is a complicated process. However, that is not true.
In fact, it is a straightforward process that will take you a few minutes to complete. In this article, we will discuss steps on how to measure laptop size.
- Important things to note
- Important things to pay attention to
- Steps on how to measure laptop size
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Final thoughts
Important things to note
Before we discuss the steps, there are crucial things you need to know before you measure the laptop size. The first important thing to note is that the size of the screen does not indicate the laptop size. The screen of the laptop is different from its actual size because it does not take into account the bezels. So, when you buy a laptop bag for your laptop, it is always recommended that you buy a bag with some additional space to accommodate the bezels.
Another crucial thing to note is that the standard unit used when measuring laptop size is inches. So, if you are using other measuring units such as centimeters, you have to convert them to inches once you are done.
Important things to pay attention to
- The laptop screen size is measured from the topmost display corner, not from the top screen corner
- When measuring the laptop thickness, make sure the laptop is closed
- If you measure the laptop size using other measuring units like centimeters, make sure you convert it to inches.
- Generally, The bigger the size of laptop, the havier it would be.
Steps on how to measure laptop size
Things you will need:
- A tape measure
- A calculator
- Your laptop
Step 1: Measuring diagonally
The mistake that most people make when measuring the screen size of a laptop is taking horizontal measurements. However, that is not the case. Laptop screen size is measured diagonally from the bottom part to the top part. This process is simple and applies to all laptop brands. Place a tape measure on the top right corner of the laptop, then stretch it to the bottom left corner of the laptop. The figure that you get is the exact size of your laptop. You can measure it in any unit, but you eventually need to convert it to inches.
Step 2: Measuring height
Once you are done taking diagonal measurements, the next step is measuring the laptop’s height. Most people mistake height for width. To measure the laptop’s height, place the measuring tape vertically at the middle of the laptop, then gently stretch the tape down to the bottom. The measurement that you will get will be the height of your laptop.
Step 3: Measuring width
To measure the laptop’s width, place the measuring tape on the laptop horizontally from left to right side. The measurement that you will record is the accurate width of the laptop. When choosing a bag for your laptop, ensure the width is not too wide to prevent the laptop from moving back and forth when carrying it.
Step 4: Measuring depth
Close the laptop, then put the measurement tape vertically. Measure from the top size to the bottom side. The reading on the tape measure is the accurate depth of your laptop. Knowing the depth of your laptop is crucial because it will help you know how bulky or slim your laptop is.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you measure laptop size for the sleeve?
Once you have purchased a laptop for streaming, office work, or educational purpose, the next thing to purchase is a laptop bag. A laptop bag not only helps you to carry your laptop with ease when moving from one place to another but also plays a crucial role in keeping your laptop safe and secure. But the sleeve bag that you purchase for your laptop matters a lot. If you want your laptop to fit perfectly, you need to purchase the right laptop bag size.
To find the right laptop bag size that fits your laptop perfectly. First, measure your laptop size by following the steps given above, then compare the measurement obtained with the sleeve or bag sizes. This way, you will find the perfect sleeve size for your laptop.
How do you measure laptop size for skin cover?
If you are planning to replace your laptop skin cover, you need to measure the current skin cover to buy one that fits perfectly. Use a measuring tape to measure the size of your laptop. Make sure you measure both the length, width, and depth. Once you have the right measurements, browse the website where you want to buy the skin of your laptop and select a skin cover that matches the specifications of your current skin cover.
How do you measure laptop size online?
You don’t have to use a tape measure to measure your laptop size. You can easily check your laptop measurement online using the following techniques.
- Know your laptop model number: All laptops have a unique number known as the model number. You can know the size of your laptop by checking your laptop model number. For instance, if your laptop has a model number S205GD, its screen size is 20 inches. The number that comes immediately after the first letter in the screen size.
- Download software: Many software like Infoblip can reveal your laptop size by entering your laptop model number. Choose a software that is easy to use and has proven beyond doubt to give accurate results. The software should also have excellent reviews and ratings from genuine users.
- Search the laptop online: You can also know your laptop size online by searching the name of your laptop and its number model. All you need to do is do a simple search on Google search. You can also enter the manufacturer’s website and enter your laptop’s model number.
Knowing how to measure your laptop size is very important. This skill will come in handy when buying a laptop bag or a new skin cover for your laptop. Fortunately, measuring a laptop size is a simple process that will take you a few minutes to complete; you only need to follow the simple process given above.
A computer geek who loves exploring the realm packed inside the systems. Being an internet entrepreneur, my mission is to help people find the right answers online about tech & spec. I also manage Funny Ventures, where I try to minimize the distance between a bot and a human being. Let me know if my attempt succeeds.