Everyone looks forward to portability; however, when it comes to certain gaming consoles such as PlayStation 4 or Xbox, it is minimal. We cannot just move our PS4 around like a Nintendo console and play anywhere we want. That’s why gamers have been devising strategies like using a laptop as a monitor for PS4 to gain some portability.
Though it is certainly possible to connect your PS4 to a laptop and use it as a monitor, it isn’t effortless. Unlike connecting your console to a TV using an HDMI cable, connecting PS4 to a laptop requires a little more time, effort, and investment.
- Is it even possible to use your laptop as monitor for PS4?
- Method No 1: Use Laptop as Monitor for PS4 with Sony Remote Play
- Method No 2: How to use a laptop as monitor for PS4 using PS4 Capture Card
Is it even possible to use your laptop as monitor for PS4?
On LaptopCircle most people will be surprised to know, but yes, you can use your laptop, but it has to have an HDMI connection with both in and out features. Even though we have been using laptop screens that are only meant to give display output for their computer operation, the recent ones do feature HDMI ports with this feature.
Anyway, what’s best about modern technology is that we can always tweak stuff and make things happen for us. For instance, we have discovered a few methods to use your laptop as a monitor for your Xbox and PS4 console. Our guide ahead covers those hacks in detail for PS4.
Method No 1: Use Laptop as Monitor for PS4 with Sony Remote Play
Most laptops have an HDMI output port to view their content on a bigger and better screen. However, when it comes to doing the vice versa such as using the laptop itself as an output for any other device like a PS4 console, it does not work; unless you use an HDMI port with both in and out features.
However, since Sony has enabled remote play now you can play your PS4 games on a laptop using it as a PlayStation Vita console. Let us introduce you to Sony Remote Play and how it can be used to play PS4 games on your laptop.
What is the Sony Remote Play?
The Sony Remote Play hands you over your PS4 console connection anywhere you want as long as you have a strong internet connection. For instance, if you are travelling somewhere where you can bring your laptop but not your gaming setup, you can have your Sony Play connection established and then use it to access your PS4 for playing games.
A step-by-step guide to using a laptop as a PS4 with Sony Remote Play:
Follow every step as listed below to make your laptop work as a monitor:
1: Download Sony Remote Play
It is a free application and is compatible with both Windows and Mac operating systems. The first step is to download it on your laptop and install it, which should not take long given the software’s simple installation method.
2: Enabling the connection between laptop and PS4:
After installing the app, the next step is to set up a connection between your laptop and the PS4 console. To enable the connection, use the following quick steps:
- Go to the settings of your PS4 console
- Now, enter the Remote Play Connection settings
- If it is disabled, enable it for it to work
- Open the Sony Play application on your laptop
- Make sure that the internet between the two devices is strong
It will now connect to the application on your laptop and allow you to access your PS4 games.
3: Setting up PS4 controllers:
Your laptop must have a Bluetooth feature to pair PS4 controllers with it. If it doesn’t have a built-in one, use an external Bluetooth Dongle. When the Remote connection is stable, connect your PS4 Dual-Shock controllers to play games on your laptop. Use the following quick steps to make that happen:
- Just ensure that your laptop’s Bluetooth connection is turned on
- Press and hold the PS and Share button for 3 seconds
- Once the controller lightbar starts flashing, open the Bluetooth settings
- In Bluetooth Connections; select the Wireless Controller option
- If it asks for a password; enter 0000, and it should work
Your PS4 controllers will now be successfully paired to your laptop.
Once you are done with all the above steps, you are good to play your games using your laptop screen as a monitor. For a stable Remote Play connection, your internet connection must be able to maintain at least 5 Mbps minimum speed at all times. Depending on your internet connection speed, you can either play on 720p or 1080p for better performance.
Method No 2: How to use a laptop as monitor for PS4 using PS4 Capture Card
PS4 Capture Card is a device that allows you to record your PS4 gameplays on your computer. However, it has an added benefit which is an unexpected one, allowing you to use your laptop as a monitor for PS4 and then enjoy your games. Even so, it is an expensive device for most gamers; this was not our first recommendation.
What do you need to use your laptop as a monitor for PS4 with Capture Card?
As we have mentioned that we will be using different techniques for using your laptop as an output screen for PS4; you are going to need the following set of things for that:
- A Laptop
- An HDMI Cable (in and out)
- A PS4 Video Capture Card
- File-sharing Compatibility
- A Powerful Internet Connection
Once you have all of this stuff arranged, we can now move ahead and share our second top-working method.
1: Buy and set up your PS4 Capture Card with Laptop and PS4:
You can buy a PS4 card from any of your trusted manufacturers; we are not making any hard and fast recommendations since our method can use any of them. However, once you have bought the card, it is time to set it up using the following steps:
- First, make sure that your PS4 is connected to the internet
- Connect the card to the laptop and install its driver
- You can find the driver disc in the box or download it from the internet
- Now, connect your PS4 with the card with an S-video connection cable
- You will need to connect HDMI-in on the capture card
- Also, connect HDMI-out on the PS4 console to get it ready
After following all of these steps, and you have taken all measures to set up the hardware connections; you will be able to stream your games on your laptop and PLAY them with ease.
2: Setting up the PS4 Capture Card Software:
The PlayStation 4 capture card performance depends a lot on the settings you have configured. For smooth and better performance, install and open the software in full-screen mode so that we can help you configure it. We have listed a few vital card settings:
- You can use the built-in recording software or a better third-party software like OBS for recording
- Take screenshots and record videos by pressing the Share button, and it will automatically save them to your laptop with a PS4 capture card
- Use Easy Share settings so that you can take a screenshot on a single tap and start recording by double-tapping the button
These were the top two recommended methods to use a laptop as a monitor for PS4. We hope that our detailed guide made the process easier for you guys. If you have any further queries, leave us those in the comments alongside your feedback. Please keep visiting our website for more exciting and informative laptop guides. Cheers!